Course in Scientific Writing
This course is for researchers in the life sciences; writers, editors, and supervisors involved in basic or applied research designed to explore, describe or explain. You will learn how to formulate your research to get published and read. You will afterward write better, clearer and more effective.
You will at the same time have the possibility to ask the speaker Kari Skinningsrud questions.
This course is conducted in English.
- Critical reading of scientific articles
- Raises awareness about issues that ease or impede reading.
- Get rid of distractions that complicate reading
- From the problem statement to the research question.
- Creating impact by clearly outlining knowledge gaps.
- Focusing, by formulating a clear purpose statement.
- Developing the intellectual content
- A goal-directed-publication-planning-and-writing process
- Increasing effectiveness by writing outlines
- How to avoid the most common writing deficiencies
- From research question to conclusion
- Translating data into information and insight
- Indicators of quality - Communicating key messages
- Section-specific issues for the IMRaD/IRDaM structures
- Hedging vs. persuasiveness
- How to write about study validity (internal and external)
- The Toulmin method for structuring discussion sections
- How to effectively present an argument
- The rebuttal the concluding argument
- How to write well in English
- What to go for and what to avoid
All participants receive a binder with all course material.
About the speaker
- Bilingual (English and Norwegian)
- MSc (Chemistry) at NTNU, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- She is an experienced course holder in "Medical writing" at Universities both at home and abroad. She has also been course holder for professional medical writers at EMWA (European Medical Writers Association) conferences.
- She has been a "Medical writer" for the pharmaceutical industry both as employee and freelancer for more than 15 years, and she has an "Advanced EMWA certificate for Medical writing"
- Member of EMWA´s Professional Development Committee (EPDP) (https://www.emwa.org/training/epdp-committee/) since 2013
- Invited lecturer in the subject of manuscript writing at ESMO (European Society of Medical Oncology) Young Oncologist Forum, in Madrid 2014
The price in different currency is 7000 SEK / 5500 DKK / 750€ / 650£ + VAT/TAX.
|Event date||15. Oct 2018, 9:00|
|Event End Date||17. Oct 2018, 16:00|
|Cut off date||25. Sep 2018, 12:00|
|Individual Price||7000 NOK / 750 Euro+Tax|
|Speaker||Kari Skinningsrud, MSc, Medical Writer|
|Location||Lillestrøm, Alfasoft AS|