EndNote X9 New!
The choice for scientific writing and reference management
There is probably a no more tedious task as creating bibliographies for your scientific papers. Not to mention the fact that different journals require different reference styles. Leave behind the tedious work of formatting bibliographies, searching for references, and finding full-text articles. EndNote has been the researchers´ choice for managing references and formatting bibliographies for over 25 years.
EndNote can be used on Windows and Mac computers, iPad, and online via your web browser.
More than just a reference manager. EndNote moves you through the research process as you search, organize, write, publish and share. Leave behind the tedious work of bibliographies and reference management and take your research to the next level with EndNote!
Enjoy team access to one reference library -
Work from a single reference library with up to 100 people, no matter where they are located or what organization they are affiliated with.
Overcome research limitations -
For one upfront price, store and share as many references, documents and files as you need – a necessity for successful collaboration.
See what your team is doing -
Instantly see the history of changes made to your shared library with a built-in activity feed.
Let the full text find you -
Initiate a search for full-text PDFs across your subscriptions and freely available sources. When the article is found, it will automatically be attached to your reference.
Sort through years of work in seconds -
Search across reference metadata, full-text journal articles, file attachments, and your personal annotations and notes, to locate the research you need in just seconds.
Cite it right the first time -
Insert citations and references from your EndNote library into your manuscript and automatically build a bibliography in more than 6,000 styles right from Microsoft® Word.
Take the guesswork out of journal submission -
Using EndNote online, find the journals to which your research is most likely to be accepted, based on an analysis of tens of millions of citation connections in Web of Science™.
Search your favorite databases right within EndNote
Tap into hundreds of online databases and instantly harvest what you find.
Collect full-text PDFs in one click
EndNote automatically downloads and attaches free, online full-text PDFs to your saved references.
Organize your references
Reference groups keep things manageable and reveal overlaps or intersections in your research.
Work with PDFs
Organize, rename, annotate, search and open your PDFs directly within EndNote.
Sync desktop and online libraries
Access all your research from anywhere, including your comments and annotations.
Build and format bibliographies
Create bibliographies and citations right within Microsoft® Word using Cite While You Write. Take your pick of 5,000+ formats – including popular styles such as APA, MLA, ALA, Harvard and Chicago style.
Write, polish and publish
Use EndNote tools to deliver a perfectly formatted paper, manuscript, CV, grant application
Share your research – COMING SOON
Invite colleagues and team members into your EndNote library – including notes and annotations. With unlimited storage, you can share as much as you want with up to 14 users.
Network and collaborate – NEW
Connect with the ideas, thinkers and practical tips that can take your work to a new level. Collaborate privately with your own team, or openly with the wider research community.
New features in EndNote X9
EndNote X9 has gotten new and improved features for sharing your research and references with your colleagues, updated styles and new reference types, and a new integration with Web of Science for citation reports and manuscript matching.
New collaboration and sharing features in EndNote X9
Group sharing now gives you the ability to share your groups with colleagues right from your EndNote desktop with both read-only or read-and-write access. Let your colleagues get right to what they need; they don't need to sift through your entire library to find what is pertinent to them.
Now you got the ability to choose whether you share a library with full Read-write permissions or the new Read-only mode. You can select the access rights at the time of sharing, or adjust it later, and different access rights can be assigned to different users. Get the peace of mind about sharing your library and don't have to worry about colleagues making changes to your library.
Refreshed styles and new reference types
If your bibliography isn't formatted correctly, you risk your paper getting rejected, even before it is peer-reviewed. With EndNote X9 you get updates to key styles such as Chicago, AMA, MLA and APA. Now you can select from over 7000 styles to format your bibliography and citations.
New reference types
When adding a new reference, you can now select from new references types from the list of reference options. These new reference types include discussion forum, TV episode, social media, and multimedia applications. No more guessing or making up your own reference types. Cite new types of media with confidence.
Web of science integration
Citation reports from Web of Science help you identify what impact your research is having on your area of study. As a researcher, you want to know if the references you are citing are impactful and relevant. To do this with X8 you needed to leave EndNote and go into Web of Science separately, which is time-consuming and breaks your workflow. With EndNote X9 you can generate a Web of Science citation report by selecting a group from your desktop. Leverage core Web of Science metrics by accessing Citation reports directly from the EndNote X9.
As a researcher, you need to know what journals are the best fit for your manuscripts, so that you have the best chance of acceptance. Many fields have hundreds of journal options, and it is hard to determine where to submit your paper. With EndNote X9 you can now create a list of journal suggestions for the paper you are writing. Take the guesswork out of journal submission and find the best-fit journals for your paper.
- - -
New features in EndNote X8
• Revised and updated bibliographic style, online search and import filter files.
• Proxy support for online search. (Win)
• Improved Full Text performance with restored:
a. Retrieval from IEEE Xplore.
b. Ability for users to connect to their library's catalog with a SFX OpenURL resolver.
• Automatically merge updates to unsaved references when syncing.
• Restored ability to scroll in Connection Status window. (Win)
• Sync updates and improvements.
• Improved visibility of PDF search field for Windows 10 users (Win)
• Work from a single reference library with up to 100 people
• Instantly see the history of changes made to your shared library with a built-in activity log
• Compatibility with Sierra
• Online Search and Find Full Text with PubMed via Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
• Using short form, include the title field only when needed to disambiguate a citation
• Cite While You Write, includes track changes and format multiple citations via EndNote online
• Import PDFs improvments
• Other bug fixes and stability improvements
EndNote X7.6 (Mac)
• Cite While You Write add-in supports 32-bit and 64-bit builds of Word 2016 for Mac
• Full compatibility with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for MS Word 2016 users after they update Word to v15.24
• Cite While You Write for Microsoft Word 2016
• Compatibility with OS X El Capitan
• Sync improvments
• Restored Direct Export functionality for OS X Snow Leopard
• Cumulative updaters
• Shared library feature improvements
• Sync performance
• Streamline software updater experience by reducing number of steps with cumulative update process
• Office Windows 10 compatibility
• Cite While You WriteTM
• Library sharing
• Reference Manager database conversion
• Share a whole library with up to 14 others, for a collaborative team of 15.
• Umlimited storage
• Set your preferences to create clear, organized, and easily searchable names for your PDF documents as you import them.
• Add citations and reference lists to your Microsoft PowerPoint slides (Win)
• Add subheadings to your bibliography in Microsoft Word using your own categories or predefined by reference type in an output style—great for distinguishing primary and secondary sources.
• Better organize your research materials by using new reference types such as Interview, Podcast, Conference Paper, and Press Release.
• Reorder column headings in the Library reference list by using drag-and-drop and customize which columns display with just a right-click.
• Use improved Sync that occurs in the background so that your work is continuously backed up and always available online and on your iPad.
• Quickly identify groups that you’re sharing online from within your EndNote desktop.
• Use new options to control the ratings and read/unread field display.
• Copy the record number to another field in a reference using the Copy feature from the Change\Move\Copy Fields command.
• Review program updates automatically.
System requirements (Windows)
Windows 7,8 and 10 (32/64 bit)
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit procesor
2 GB RAM
600 MB available hard disk space
System requirements (Mac)
Mac OS 10.10 and above
Hard disk with 700 MB availible
Minimum 2 GB of available RAM
Cite While You Write feature compatible with:
Microsoft Word® 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016 (32-bit/64-bit)
OpenOffice.org Writer 3
RTF Document Scan: works with RTF (Rich Text Format) files created by many word processors including OpenOffice, FrameMaker and more.
An Internet connection is required to register for online access, search online databases, find full text and automatically update references.
- Single user licenses
- Multi user licenses
- Student licenses
- Site licenses
We offer open scheduled training sessions and training on site at your premises. Please check out the training pages for more details about our EndNote training.
We offer technical support for all our EndNote customers.
As a first step you should visit our support page for EndNote. Here you can find solutions for common issues as well as find many other useful resources.
If you cannot find the answer, please contact us using our support form.
Please state your support case as detailed as possible when you contact our support.
Always remember to inform what product version you are using and what operating system (both platform and version).